Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Made it at last.

After 34 hours of flying, Melbourne-Sydney-Singapore-London-Paris we made it in one piece. More importantly made it in a reasonably healthy state. I guess the big difference between this flight and my previous flight to Europe can be summed up as follows:



1. Booze - I didn't drink anywhere near as much booze
2. Room - Carolyn convinced me to go World traveler plus (I reluctantly say this since it will go to her "I told you so" reference bank!)

3. Noise canceling Headphone - This is the latest piece of technology to rank in the "I could kiss it" category of brilliance. I actually got quite a bit of sleep on the plane and the noisy cabin was about as quiet as a good road car on a smooth road once the noise canceling was active. Well worth the money, I will never fly long haul without these ever again.

There was also an amusing moment where in asking for something on behalf of Carolyn a very rusty "and it's for my wife" came out. I guess that will take a bit of getting used too.


After finally arriving at Hotel D'Albe, I was quite impressed by the room, it has a really nice view out on to rue de la Huchette which also has had the nickname of Bacteria Alley from recent times where there were some question marks over the food handling of the open gyros stands. After airline food for 36 hours though I think I'll be kind to my stomach and keep my food intake in the "reasonably digestible" category which is very easy to do in a city like Paris and stay away from the open pita's with fries!


Despite the long travel though, we did get out for a bit of a walk around Paris to get our bearings and take a look at Notre Dame which is a 5 minute walk from our hotel.



In the end though, jet lag and travel caught up with us very quickly though and it was an early night. A glass of wine and a baguette later and it is off to get ready for some proper exploration of Paris.