Monday, October 30, 2006

Ole

One of the things being debated prior to arriving to Seville was would I, or would I not attend a bullfight if one was on. On further investigation, the last day is October 12 so it was not an issue.

Instead I had to settle for a tour of the Seville bullring, which was very brief and quite depressing. Not a lot of sport in this one I am afraid, if stabbing your opponent in the shoulders to get it to drop it’s head and then stabbing it in it’s legs to charge so it can be killed is sport, then I don’t think it is something I’d care to view. What amazed me most though, is if a bull takes it’s revenge and kills the matador, the mother of the bull is killed so as to not rear any more “killer” bulls. Not really too fair!

Having seen people in travel shows view bullfights walking away feeling somehow hollow, I can certainly see why.

The night was a bit more fun though, after some tapas and sampling of some very nice Spanish wines and Sherry, we went to an amateur Flamenco show in a hidden away bar that was filled with backpackers. It was pretty cool and the Alhambra 1925 beer was quite good too.